Thursday, September 18, 2008

On Being a Gatekeeper Dragon...

A friend of mine and I were talking about what it's like to be front office staff. Technically, while my job title is Paraplanner, because I sit at the big desk in the lobby, most people coming in think of me as the receptionist.

Anyway, my friend had mentioned to her boss that she feels part of her job is getting a read on applicants coming in for interviews. Her boss didn't agree, which is odd to me.

Back in the old days, I was front office staff for an employment agency. The Account Executives counted on me to give them my first impression as far as how the applicants presented themselves and what kind of environment I could see them working in. Another of my important tasks was to make sure the AE's knew how the applicant's name was pronounced. It may seem trivial, but it truly helped the AE's not feel like an assjack on meeting the applicant's for the first time.

People, give your front office staff the respect they deserve. If you have a competent one, who greets clients with a smile, who gets calls transferred to the right person, and makes your office run smoother, please realize you've got a gem and enjoy it as long as it lasts.

No comments: